Version: VitaDB Downloader 1.4 by Rinnegatamante
It’s been less than a week since Rinnegatamante released VitaDB Downloader, an “app store” for your homebrew compatible PS Vita. And last week there have already been some major updates, especially with theme support, a very welcome addition for those who like to customize their hacking experience.
Themes can be downloaded here, and you can submit your own. (Maybe a future update will allow us to install themes directly from the application?). Specifically with 1.4, Rinnegatamante brings even more customization, with the ability to customize color schemes for all GUI elements.
What is VitaDB Downloader
VitaDB is the most used Vita application repository for owners of homebrew compatible PS Vita consoles. The database hosts thousands of utility software and games, with a website where users can manually download homebrew themselves for manual installation on their console. It also provides an API, allowing developers to access the database programmatically. This means in particular that there are several “homebrew stores” of Vita applications which allow you to install games directly from your Vita, taking advantage of this repository.
There are several “homebrew installers” that leverage VitaDB, such as Vita Homebrew Browser (VHBB), easy VPK, Best homebrew browser, and more. Which one you use depends on personal preference, but Rinnegatamante (who developed and maintains VitaDB) expressed frustration that they all seem to have issues.
It was in this context that he decided to release VitaDB Downloader, which can be considered the “official” VitaDB client.
VitaDB Downloader Features
- Search by author/homebrew name.
- Filtering applications by category.
- Display of all screenshots available for applications.
- Sorting applications according to different criteria (newest, oldest, most downloaded, least downloaded, alphabetically)
- Display of multiple metadata for applications.
- Downloading and installing vpk+data or vpk files only at the discretion of the user. (No need to re-download data files each time you want to update a homebrew for which the data files are unchanged)
- Minimalist GUI based on the beloved ImGui with an emphasis on robustness rather than fancy.
- Fast Boot Time (Only the very first boot will take a little longer due to app icon downloads. Successive boots will be virtually instantaneous)
- Low storage usage (screenshots are served on demand, the only data kept on storage are app icons with full storage usage less than 10MB).
- Track installed apps, even when not installed via VitaDB Downloader, and their status (obsolete/updated).
- Background music (you can customize it by changing ux0:data/VitaDB/bg.ogg with your own favorite track).
- Background image/video (you can customize it by changing ux0:data/VitaDB/bg.mp4 or ux0:data/VitaDB/bg.png).
- Themes support (Customization of GUI elements via ux0:data/VitaDB/themes.ini).
In our experience, VitaDB Downloader has proven to be extremely reliable and incredibly fast.
- Left Analog or Up/Down Arrows = Move Selection
- Circle = Cancel selection
- Left arrow (when selection is cancelled) = return to search text box (top of list)
- Start = Show/Hide screenshots for selected homebrew
- L/R = Change homebrew sorting
- X = Install homebrew
VitaDB Downloader 1.4 – what’s new
There have been 4 new versions since we last talked about VitaDB Downloader (which was version 1.0), so we put the changelogs for all these updates below.
VitaDB 1.4 Downloader
- Added a check after installing an application if the installation was successful or failed.
- Added proper cleanup of leftover files when an installation is abruptly aborted or fails.
- Fixed a bug causing the wrong icon to be displayed when searching and jumping to the first app in the list.
- Fixed a bug causing app info to be displayed also when the cursor is not over an app.
- Added a requirements popup when trying to install an app that has additional requirements for proper setup (e.g. plugin requirements or full data files from the original game).
- Added ability to customize color scheme for all GUI elements (ux0:data/VitaDB/themes.ini).
- Added proper application state tracking (Not installed, obsolete, updated).
- Accelerated boot time. Now VitaDB Downloader will launch about a second faster.
- Added the ability to check the changelog for the selected app by pressing the Select button.
- Option “Category:” renamed to “Filter:”.
- Added ability to filter apps by not installed/installed/outdated criteria.
- Fixed a bug preventing the page down (right arrow) from reaching the end of the list correctly when a filter or search was active under certain circumstances.
VitaDB 1.3 Downloader
- Designed for fast paging down with the right arrow to go as low as the very last entry.
- Made visible in the top menu bar the filter currently used for the list of applications.
- Data file installation question reworded to sound more correct.
- Added smallest and largest sorting modes.
- Added drop-down menu to change sort mode (L/R is still usable to cycle through sort modes).
- Added the ability to switch between category filters with the Square button.
- Using different granularities (B, KB, MB, GB) for homebrew sizes depending on the size itself.
- Added free and total storage information at the bottom right of the screen.
- Aligned to left homebrew names in app list.
- Added support for backgrounds (both static (ux0:data/VitaDB/bg.png) and animated (ux0:data/VitaDB/bg.mp4)).
- Added a check before downloading an app if there is enough free storage to install it.
VitaDB 1.2 Downloader
- Added the ability to quickly search by pressing the Triangle button.
- Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash if the background music file was missing.
- Fixed a bug that prevented updating the app from the app itself.
- Auto update added.
- Fixed an issue causing crackling and stuttering with audio during archive extractions.
VitaDB 1.1 Downloader
- Added a check when more than a month has passed since the last boot. If this happens, give the user the option to re-download all app icons at once.
- Added the ability to quickly scroll through the apps list with left/right arrows.
- Added the ability to quickly scroll through the app list by moving the scroll bar with the left analog.
- Added the ability to instantly return to the top of the list by pressing Circle (Previously it was Circle + Left).
- Fixed a bug that didn’t instantly reposition the scrollbar when going to the top of the list.
- Fixed a bug causing temporary corruption of selected app icon after installing an app.
- Added background music (You can disable it or switch tracks by deleting/replacing ux0:data/VitaDB/bg.ogg)
- Fixed a bug causing the selected app to change randomly when changing sort mode.
Download VitaDB Downloader
To run VitaDB Downloader, you need libshacccg.suprx. If you don’t already have it installed, you can install it by following this guide: https://samilops2.gitbook.io/vita-troubleshooting-guide/shader-compiler/extract-libshacccg.suprx
Install like any other VPK (remember, you need a hacked PS Vita!). Once installed, you should be able to install any other homebrew (ie those present on VitaDB) from the VitaDB Downloader interface!
The source: VitaDB