The Best Video Downloader of 2022 – Review Geek
Downloading copyrighted videos from the Internet is a tricky task. Although the Fair Use Doctrine covers many uses, copying and distributing copyrighted works may infringe the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. This article is for informational purposes only. The reader is responsible for the legal use of the software presented.
While downloading raw video from the Internet is at the heart of all the software in this article, most have bells and whistles that are worth considering. Here are some of what you can expect to find in the best online video downloaders.
- Compatible websites: YouTube is the most popular video hosting service, but it’s not the only game in town. The best online video downloaders are compatible with hundreds or even thousands of video sites and services.
- Download options: The best video downloader does more than rip raw videos. They also allow you to customize the download by choosing which resolution, format, and the quality you want for your video. You can even download audio only from an online video.
- Screen recording: The best video download apps also allow you to capture what’s happening on your computer screen. Not only will you be able to get otherwise unavailable content, but also save things like live streams and online meetings.
- Browser extension: All video download programs allow you to copy and paste video URLs into the application to begin the download process. Others come with a browser extension that lets you get videos you find while surfing the web.
- Built-in browser: Most online video download apps have built-in browsers that let you explore sites to find what you’re looking for without launching programs like Firefox, Edge, Chrome, and Safari.
- Format conversion: There will be times when you need a video in a different format than you downloaded it. Best Internet Video Downloaders convert your files in a format that suits your needs.
- Device optimization: Where you watch your video is more important than you think. And each device has particular video settings that suit it best. The best video downloaders can customize files for optimal playback on any device you use.
- ✓ The free version will satisfy most users
- ✓ Easy to use
- ✓ Download videos in ultra-high definition
- ✗ Free version limited to 30 downloads per day
- ✗ No conversion tool
While features like format converters, browser plug-ins, and device optimizers are great, they aren’t strictly necessary for most people. If all you’re looking for is a way to get that YouTube video to your computer, 4K Video Downloader may be what you need. It’s safe, free, and offers most of the download tools you’re likely to use regularly.
4K Video Downloader’s interface is about as simple as it gets. It is simply a list of videos being downloaded and completed downloads. To grab an online video, copy its URL to your clipboard and click “Paste Link” in 4K Video Downloader. The program will immediately analyze the link and present your download options. You can choose to download a video in its original resolution and quality (up to 8K) or a downgraded version for faster downloads and smaller files. You can also extract only the audio part from a video.
The file formats you can download are MP4, MKV, and MP3. Although these options are limited in scope, they are universal enough to play videos on any device or player you own. You can also extract subtitles in English, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, etc.
The free version of the software allows you to download 30 videos per day. If you need more, upgrading to one of the paid plans gives you unlimited downloads, more concurrent downloads, the ability to download private YouTube videos, and the elimination of in-app ads.
- ✓ Full site compatibility
- ✓ Many conversion choices
- ✓ Screen recorder included
- ✗ Deprecated device optimization tool
- ✗ Windows 11 not supported
AllMyTube has all the tools you need in an online video downloader. There are several ways to download videos with this application. The easiest way is to copy the URL of the video you want to download, open the app and click “Paste URL”. The application will fetch the video and offer you to download it in different resolutions or even download only the audio track of the video.
Other download options include the built-in web browser, which lets you browse any website and use the one-click download button when you find a video you want to snag. The software also offers a browser plug-in for Chrome and Firefox, so you can download videos as you find them on the web. And since AllMyTube is compatible with over 10,000 video sites and services, you’re unlikely to find a video you can’t download. If you come across a non-downloadable video, you can use the built-in screen recorder to capture it while it’s playing on your computer.
This video downloader also has a plethora of conversion and optimization tools. While AllMyTube downloads all videos in MP4 format, the converter can change it to MOV, WMV, AVI, MKV, 3GP or MPEG. Available audio formats include MP3, M4A, WAV, and MKA. AllMyTube includes dozens of device optimization profiles for devices ranging from smartphones to game consoles and set-top boxes.
Unfortunately, this software is terribly outdated. For example, the most recent iPhone optimization profile is for the iPhone X, which was released several years ago and isn’t even sold by Apple anymore. Also, the software is not compatible with Windows 11, which is a big problem even if you haven’t updated yet (because one day you will, and the software will be useless). Without these disadvantages, AllMyTube would have taken the first place in our analysis.
Why Wondershare let AllMyTube fall behind is anyone’s guess. Mine is that they focused their efforts on their video converter software: UniConverter, which includes a download tool and many other features mentioned above. So if it’s a standalone converter you want and you don’t mind a few years old program, AllMyTube is a good choice. If this is a dealbreaker for you, UniConverter may be the solution you are looking for.
- ✓ Best-in-class in-app web browser
- ✓ Download videos in ultra-high definition
- ✓ Works with over 1,000 video sites
- ✗ Limited format options
- ✗ Lack of browser plug-in
CleverGet is a video downloader app which is an internet browser with the ability to download videos from over 1000 sites on the web. It’s fantastic for browsing the internet and finding the videos you need to download. When you find the video you want, click the download button in the lower right corner of the browser to start the process. It’s about as easy as it gets to get the online videos you want. You can even use the program for ultra high resolution videos up to 8K.
But there are some drawbacks. The main one is that you only download videos in three file formats: MP4, MKV and WebM. Also, the program lacks a standalone format converter and device optimization tools. And although the browser-based program is convenient, there will be times when you find videos in external browsers that you want to download. But since CleverGet doesn’t offer a browser plugin, you’ll have to manually copy the address of the video you want and paste it into the app’s URL bar. Another annoying thing about the program is that you cannot resize the interface or put it in fullscreen mode.
- ✓ Powerful video search tool
- ✓ Can download all channel content
- ✓ Android app available
- ✗ Only download videos in MP4
- ✗ No browser plugin
AnyUTube is a video downloader that has something no other product featured in this article offers: in-app video search. All other video downloaders require you to find the desired video in a browser (built-in or external). When you click on the “search” tab, you can search the web for the video you want and get results without ever opening a browser.
Another thing AnyUTube has that no one else does is a companion mobile app that allows you to store and watch your downloaded videos wherever you are. It is only available for androidiOS users will therefore have to settle for watching downloaded videos in the Photos or TV apps.
Apart from its unique features, AnyUTube is somewhat limited in what it can do. Although it has a built-in browser, it does not have an external browser extension. Moreover, you are limited to downloading videos in MP4 and the program does not have a format converter. Additionally, audio downloads are limited to MP3, M4A, and WebM formats. And there are no device optimization profiles to choose from.